Saturday 17 January 2009

The things they bring home...



Much hilarity around the dinner table last night, even in the midst of sadness. Such is life. Kid-in-the-middle has revived the family tradition of relaying the dreadful jokes they hear at school, usually over dinner. This generally involves much groaning from the adults at the table and is followed by an attempt at joke-telling by Kid-at-thee-bottom-of-the-heap. Her complete inability to stop laughing, or remember a punchline usually renders these unfunny at best and in the worst-case scenario, simply incomprehensible.

So, in the grand tradition, there was an Englishman, a Scotsman and an Irishman. (Apologies to any Irish people reading this. You know where it's going.) And they found a shiny new bucket. They rubbed it, as you would, and out popped a genie. The genie said that as there were three of them, he would grant them one wish each, and that whatever they wished for, if they slid down the slide that he was about to produce, and into the bucket, the bucket would be filled with whatever it was they'd wished for. They were a bit sceptical...a slide, going down into a bucket? How would that work? Surely the bucket was too small? The slide a bit dangerous?

The Englishman went first. He was very worried about this whole slide/bucket scenario and actually not convinced that the "genie" was for real, so he simply wished for cotton wool to land on. Lo and behold, as he slid down the slide, the bucket expanded and filled with the softest, bounciest cotton wool known to man and the Englishman landed as if on a downy mattress and in complete comfort. They were all amazed, and the Englishman a little miffed at the opportunity he'd missed.

The Scotsman, having seen what happened, leapt onto the slide and wished for lots and lots of money. And lo. And behold. As he wished and slid, the bucket expanded and he landed in the biggest pile of large denomination notes of cash you've ever imagined.

And so, it was amidst much merriment and excitement that the Irishman jumped onto the slide with a huge grin on his face and as he started to slide down the slide he shrieked "Wheeeeeeeeeeee".

Oh the hilarity. There's something about short, consise words for potentially rude things that juveniles find irresistible - wee, poo, bum, fart. Mention any one of these and small children will crease up with laughter and keep themselves amused for hours simply by repeating the offending word. Which is why I am surprised that nobody seems to have noticed that our latest acquisition rhymes with wee. By rights, they shouldn't be able to play the thing for trying to control their guffaws, but play it they do. Endlessly if they think they can get away with it.

However, I have come to spoil their fun, because this Christmas, with much trepidation, dh presented me with the Wii fit. Apparently he was worried that I'd be offended, but the opposite was true - I was delighted.

Now I know that another blogger has said she's going to post a review of the wii fit, so I'm not going to steal her thunder. But I did just want to say that I have finally found something that gets me moving and is fun. It must be my inner-Monica, but I can't stand it if I don't beat my previous best and so I'm constantly spurred on to do more, do better and beat myself! No exercise video ever tapped into this uber-competitive spirit before, so I wonder if this piece of kit might finally be the thing that gets me moving and keeps me moving!! You never know, if it helps me to shift enough weight, you might find me slim enough to get on the slide in the garden and go "Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!"

1 comment:

Wendy said...

Ooh that would be me!

It's done now, but you would have done a better job!

There's room in this cyber space thingy for both our opinions anyway :-)