Friday 1 May 2009

Baby Steps

I have a lovely friend, whom I don't really see often enough these days, so it felt like it was meant to be when we bumped into each other last week and realised we were both free yesterday to meet for coffee. There's a rather good coffee shop at one of the local farms so we agreed to meet there at 10am. As I headed onwards with my list of chores for the day, it occurred to me that I could walk there - it must be a couple of miles from my house, and two, two-mile walks with a coffee or three in between would be a good way of getting back into walking. But no. When my pal heard this she decided that we'd be better off taking her dog for a tramp in the hills instead. And she was right. It was fun and much less expensive in these crunched times.

We took it easy, to cater for my extreme lack of fitness. It seemed to suit Em okay, but her dog was straining a bit - I suspect that Em, with her youth and slim figure to support her, normally runs this route, and that she was slowing things down for my benefit. I was working quite hard though - the sweat pouring off my brow was disguised by the constant rain which at least had a slight cooling effect. She rewarded me for my efforts with a coffee in her house at the end of the walk while I steamed up her kitchen.

1 comment:

Beth said...

I'm glad you had a lovely walk!