Wednesday 8 October 2008

Passing it on


I keep missing Jamie Oliver's programme, so have to watch it on catch-up on the pooter. I'm not really his target audience this time, because I can and do cook, especially now that I'm not working, but I have found the programme inspiring nonetheless. I'm an over-emotional soft-hearted bit of blubber really and I couldn't quite stop my eyes from watering a bit as I watched Natasha imploring her friends to "moove yer 'ips", or when Mick was so obviously delighted with himself at producing a delicious meal.


Interestingly, Kid-at-the-bottom, is going through a phase of wanting everything to be "homemade". Yesterday for lunch I made her sandwiches with homemade smoked mackerel "paté", and she complained that I hadn't "made" the cucumber. However I have been making lots of other things. In the last week alone I've made enough apple pies and crumbles to feed the world's military forces several times over. My crew demolished the lot within seconds of them coming out of the oven. I've also been producing blackcurrant jam and apple jelly. More apples are winging their way to me as I type: Mother is coming for lunch. Hope she approves of the soup I made this morning! In the spirit of passing it on, here's the recipe:


Roasted red pepper, tomato and lentil soup.


6 red/yellow/orange peppers
Olive oil
Sea salt
2 large onions, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic crushed
Tinned tomatoes
1/4lb red lentils, washed
1 pint veg stock
Sprig of rosemary
S&P to taste

Roast half a dozen red, orange and yellow peppers by taking off big slices, placing them skin side up on a baking tray and drizzling with olive oil and a sprinkle of sea salt. Fairly high temperature, about 40 mins till the skins start to go crispy and a bit black. Let cool.

Sweat the onions in a pan with the lid on so that they cook in their own juices. Meanwhile, shred the peppers. No need to take the skins off. When the onions are softened, add the shredded peppers, tinned tomatoes, garlic, washed lentils, sprig of rosemary and veg stock. Simmer for half an hour or so until lentils are softened. Taste and season. Blend.

If the tinned tomatoes are whole, do the simmering before you break them up. I reckon this would be good with some melty-type cheese cubes on the top for those skinny people who aren't on a diet!

Talking of diets - I'm another pound down and inspite of AF turning up yesterday, I didn't have a major carb binge this week. Although I was a bit crotchety. Sorry to those who noticed and suffered.

Today's sartorial elegance consists of:
Hideous purple poloneck Christmas type sweater complete with sequins (it's warm, what can i tell you?)
Brown cord flares. Oh God, I've gone back to the seventies. I know who's to blame as well.

3 comments:

Wendy said...

Thanks for the recipe, I will cook that at the weekend I think.

Well done on losing another pound. And also on co-ordinating your menstrual cycle with mine. I knew that could happen in a community of women but I didn't realise it could occur across cyberspace!

Anonymous said...

If you are going to roast peppers, you don't have to drizzle them in oil and the fat load is less. Also I've never felt that the richness of the peppers needed extra oil!

I do mine whole, have them under the grill and turn them frequently. Then I put them in the bags that the veg. shop insist on wrapping my veg in, 3 peppers to a bag, tying the bag up and keeping the steam in to lift the skin..... and try not to scream too much as I take the hot skins off.......

tis the season for a lot of pumpkin soup..... I'll try and dig the recipe I lurve most out for you

Kath said...

It was only a teeeny drizzle of olive oil, honest missus!

I'm also a bit weird because I like the black burnt bits on a roasted pepper.

The only pumpkin soup recipe I have is a Delia one - it's good, but I'm always up for more recipes!